Skip to main content

Dark Eldar Grotesques WIP 1

Hi all.

Today I bring some WIP shots of my latest project. I decided a while ago that I would like some grotesques in my Dark Eldar army, or at least have the option to include them. GW of course brought out a model but I really wasn't keen on it due to the singular pose and the fact that I'm still wary about finecast models. So with that in mind I started looking at ways to make them myself. Luckily for me GW also brought out the Varghiest / Crypt Horror box. I knew this kit would be right for making them so I bought some. I would have set to work on these sooner but at the time I was at uni and I had left the required bits I had intended to use back at home.

So on saturday I decided I'd actually get on with it and get my grotesques converted. So here are some pictures of my work so far. 

This is the first model I started to work on. I've made it in such a way that it can either be a normal grotesque with ccw or an Aberration with venom blade. I've used parts leftover from my 2 talos kits to make the grotesques. I had the big blade left and knew I wanted to use it. I attached it to a crypt horror hand holding a bone with spikes on. I cut the bone down till it was roughly square at the ends and removed the spikes. I then glued the blade in place and added greenstuff to make it nice and square before adding plastic card. The end of the axe handle is made from a part off of a talos tail weapon. I also scuplted trousers onto all the grotesques. The main reason was to hide the area's where I had cut the fur away from the original model. I think they've turned out pretty well. I made them look a bit worn by making the ends of the legs look tattered and by adding a few holes where they have torn. I've also added a belt around the top of the trousers.

From behind. I've added one of the little arms to the back of the model as well as a rack, a couple of antenna pieces and a glass jar.

The third grotesque.Again I've sculpted trousers on to the model and added the same weathering. This model has arms from the talos kit. I decided not to add the part of the talos arms that fit between some of the options and the actual arm as I felt it made it too long. Instead I drilled directly into the hand and stuck it straight on. for its left arm I decided to use one of the cronos parasite engine's tentacle arms.

From behind. I've added a cronos parasite engine back piece tot he back of this grotesque.

And finally the second grotesque I worked on. This one carries the liquifier gun that I wanted to have in the squad. Originally I had intended to have it as a normal hand gun. However I decided I wanted to do something a bit different. I had a spare talos tail and decided it might look good to mount the gun on the end of it. So I removed the weapon part of a tail piece (giving me the part to add to the end of the big axe type thing) and added the liquifier guns from the talos kit. I removed all the pipe work and a couple of other little bits so it could sit nicely on the weapon mount. Once this was done I added the cover to it to finish it off. I'm happy with how this bit turned out. The major modification on this model was some slight repositioning of the legs as it was too hunched over. I cut the legs above the ankles and added some wire. This gave it a bit of extra height and allowed me to reposition the model in a more upright position.

Overall I'm quite happy with how the conversion has gone so far. There is still a bit of greenstuff work to do around arm joints and on the legs of the special weapon model. There are also other minor bits to do just to tidy up area's like where I've added the hook to the arm.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask int he comments and I'll do my best to answer.

Well that's it for this post. As always thanks for taking the time to have a look and please feel free to leave any comments, be they good or bad or somewhere in between.



Popular posts from this blog

Scenery: Imperial Sector Buildings WIP

Hi all

Its been a while since anything new was posted on SotA which I think has been due to both myself and Zebulon having a little break from doing anything major. I've been tinkering with a few bits and pieces for the last few weeks and now find myself ready to get back into the swing of things.

So first up are the buildings from the Imperial Sector box. I was lucky enough to find this box in my local store at the old price of about £52 rather than the new £70 price. I hadn't intended to buy it but I knew I'd regret not buying it. It took me a couple of weeks to assemble the buildings which was slow by my standards (due to the decreased nature of hobby activities).

So lets get on with the pictures.

Start Collecting Skitarii Review

Hey all, today I'm giving my little review on the new Start Collecting Skitarii box. Firstly for a GW price of  £50 ($85) these are exceptional value, in this box set the Dunewalker is £40, Rangers/Vanguard £23.50 and the Dominus £22. Even at £50, that's a £35.50 saving. If you're like me and bought it from an online store ( Goblin Gaming for me, 20% discount and £3.90 postage, just under 50% off standalone retail price)

Drakwald Carnalites Minotaur WIP

Hey all.l,

I'm back today with the first WIP for my Carnalites. As somewhat of a tester for the team I picked the Minotaur as he has both armour and skin/fur that can be translated across the team.