Hobby - Homemade Painting Stands

Hi all

Today I bring a little hobby article (hopefully) for your enjoyment.

Now as some of you may know I've recently been busy painting my Covenant of Antarctica fleet for Dystopian Wars (DW). A game I highly recommend. When it comes to undercoating my miniatures I usually attach them to some cardboard strips with double sided sticky tape  allowing me to hold them without touching the models and making a mess of the undercoat. Now I'm sure most of you out there do this is someway and it works well enough for models with bases. The DW ships aren't a problem as I don't need to undercoat the bottom of them so I can just stick them down too. However the flying models are a bit more of a challenge. There's no where I can hold them without stopping parts been undercoated and they don't stick to cardboard so well.

Now I could just put them on their flying stands and spray them but I don't want to get those all covered in paint. I had thought about buying some more from Sparten Games and use them as 'painting stands' but this requires spending money I'd rather not spend. So I decided to make my own stands for the same purpose.

So here's how I went about it


These are the basic things I used. There's a square piece of balsa wood, 10mmx10mm I think. Some plastic rod 3mm in diameter and the bottom part of a flight stand. The tools I used were a saw and pin vice drill with 3mm bit. And that's it.



First thing I did was to mark the positions of the holes to be drilled. The first hole is about 10-15mm away from the end. I then left about the same amount from the second hole to where I'd cut the wood.







The next thing I did was to cut the lengths as I'd marked. I then drilled the holes where I'd marked them.





I then cut lengths of the plastic rod. I went for about the same length as the plastic rods that fit into the flight stand. I may have made them a little longer but its not too important. Its probably more important that they are all pretty much the same size.



And then lastly put the rods into the drilled holes. I haven't glued them in as they are a good fit and I don't think they'll come out but its something you can always do just to make sure. And there we are some cheap little stands to place the flying models on to make them easier to undercoat.






And there's my Covenant of Antarctica Epicurus Class Sky Fortress sat nicely on a stand all ready to be undercoated. Now if only it wasn't so cold I might actually get in undercoated. 


Well that's it for this post. As always thanks for taking the time to have a look and please feel free to leave any comments, be they good or bad or somewhere in between.

Blackmane

No comments:

Post a Comment